Tuesday, November 25, 2008

June 25th: A celebratory union.

June 25th is a date of tremendous significance in my life, as two distinctly different unions happened on that date. One helped make me, the other is going to try to break me.

Nearly a half century ago, on June 25, my parents, Robert and Martha, were joined in holy matrimony. On that day, they joined hands and looked eagerly to a future full of hope and promise. Of course, I wasn't there to witness their union, but I heard it was nice. Until my father died in 1997, my parents shared a lot of joy, laughter and love.

On June 25, 2008, there was another union of a sorts, but this time, I had a front row seat. On that day, my 7 year old daughter, Alexandra, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes -- an unholy, undesirable union if ever there was one. On that day, though, I made a solemn (silent) vow that my daughter would have a future at least as full of hope and promise, if it was within my power.

We're now into month 5 of life with D, as we call it. It's been a challenge, as any parent of a child with diabetes will tell you. But it's been a dual challenge because we make our home in a "third world country."

Without recreating the wheel, I'm following this post up with a reprint of posts from my other website, Obroni Observations, to learn what our first couple of days were like in a local hospital.

Oh, and my title, about June 25th being a union to celebrate. It is still a reason to celebrate. My daughter is still alive, and with my help, and by God's grace, she will be for a very long time. An unholy union? Maybe. Undesirable? Absolutely, yes. But, we're in it now for better or for worse... well, you know how that goes.

No comments: