Friday, June 26, 2009

4238

One year on…


Alexandra has now had type 1 diabetes for a single year. In that one year, she has gone from blood sugars that averaged in the mid-20s /mmol (that’s 400 to 600 /mg) to blood sugars that average less than 7.0 /mmol (125 /mg). For reference, a non-diabetic has blood sugars of less than 100 normally.


At diagnosis, her A1C, which measures the sugar in her blood over a 3 month period, was 14.7%. That equates to 22.4 /mmol (or 404 in the U.S.). Her most current A1C, done a few days ago, was 6.5% which equates to 7.2 /mmol (130 /mg). That’s a full point lower than it was last March. People with type 1 diabetes would love to have an A1C like that. And parents of children with type 1 diabetes would kill to see that for their child.


That A1C does not come easy. It calls for lots of sacrifices, from all of us, Alexandra most of all, naturally. That 4,238 represents 2,718 finger pricks to check her blood sugar plus 1,520 injections. Give or take a handful, when maybe I forgot to log it. On average, though, nearly 12 times a day, my child has to have herself poked with a needle or a syringe.


In a single year: 4,238.


It’s been a long year. One in which I’ve aged probably ten-fold. I haven’t yet slept a full night through. I miss that. I also miss the spontaneity of our lives; everything has to be planned and thought through. I miss the sweet girl who used to live with us, who is occasionally replaced with her demon double. I really miss the “before” diabetes days.


But the after is what we’ve got to live with. And live with it we shall.


And one year on, I’d be remiss if I didn’t thank the people who helped Alex achieve a very successful first year… people like Michelle, Jane, Adjoa, Carla, Beth, Paula, Tim, Melissa, Scott and probably another dozen wonderful people who I hope will forgive me for not specifically mentioning them here. They’ve helped us by providing meters, strips, insulin pens, i-ports and all of the things that Alex needs to live her life to the fullest. And I can’t put a price on the emotional and psychological support I get from friends all over the world, friends who share with me one single all-encompassing value: We each love a child who has diabetes.


Most of all, I want to thank my mom, because we couldn’t have done it without her. She's sent umpteen care packages, all packed with necessities and goodies. And she'd be here in a minute if I asked her to be. Don't worry, mom, I won't ask. ;-)


Last, but not least, I want to thank Alexandra. She didn't ask for this stupid disease, and no, she didn't do anything to get it. But, she does what she has to do, usually without a grumble and sometimes even with a smile.


She's still my hero.


Please, pray for a cure.



5 comments:

jimpurdy1943@yahoo.com said...

"Her most current A1C, done a few days ago, was 6.5% which equates to 7.2 /mmol (130 /mg). That’s a full point lower than it was last March. People with type 1 diabetes would love to have an A1C like that. And parents of children with type 1 diabetes would kill to see that for their child."

I have Type 2, and I wish my numbers were close to that.

Congratulations!

Barbara said...

Jim, thanks! Keep working on yours. I know it ain't easy, but it is sooo worth it.

Nicole said...

Our daughter Cara was diagnosed Type 1 in Feb 09 at the age of 3. Her numbers right now are in the upper teens - mid twenties. Congrats on the great team work!! :) and I'm missing so much how are life use to be as well, what a change in life and what a change in our little girl!! Good luck and keep up the amazing work!

Hua said...

Hi Barbara,

I hope she, you and the family are doing well... I am moved by your blog on the Diabetes journey. I think you should have your voice heard by over 6 million monthly visitors who come to Wellsphere's website to seek information on a variety of health related topics. We would like to raise the awareness of Diabetes, and connect you and other people who are in similar situations. Through Wellsphere's HealthBlogger Network, you can engage with others to lend a helping hand for one another.

For more information about joining, please visit http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger or email me at hua [at] wellsphere [dot] com.

Hope to hear from you soon!
Hua
Director of Blogger Networks

Unknown said...

wow, I always wondered what diabetics in Ghana had to go through 'cos I'm a Ghanaian nurse in Michigan. I volunteer at a clinic which sees a lot of Hispanic patients and their A1C's are always out of whack! Great job helping to keep your daughter's in check in Ghana. Medical issues in Ghana always freak me out:(